< August 2015 >

Sunday, August 2nd, 2015

Medford Historical Society

 

Time & Place

1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Two of the Medford Historical Society’s properties will be open for tours on Sunday afternoons from 1-4 p.m. during July and August. Historic Kirby’s Mill at 275 Church Road, Medford, New Jersey has been completely refurbished with old mill stones turned by gears that provide power from the water wheel. The second floor is furnished with educational exhibits including a general store, printing shop and lathe. The original Kirby Bros. office has been returned to its original condition, including old ledgers and price posters.

Visit the office and education center of Dr. James Still located at 209-211 Church Road in the refurbished Bunning Farmhouse. Dr. Still (1812-1885), often referred to as the “Black Doctor of the Pines,” was a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer. His office is awaiting restoration, but the education center will be open with exhibits and books for sale.

Docents will welcome visitors to both sites and answer questions. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome. For more information visit www.medfordhistory.org or call 609-654-7767.

More Information

609-654-7767 | Web

Find Related Info: history, Medford, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Dr. James Still, Kirby's Mill

 

Saturday, August 8th, 2015

Canoe/Kayak the Oswego River (Burlington County)

 

Time & Place

8:00am

event thumbnail

Rise and Shine! Join us for an early trip before the crowds!

Meet at Lake Oswego, Lake Oswego Road.

Boats can be rented from Mick's Pine Barrens Canoe/Kayak Rental 800-281-1380 or www.mickscanoerental.com.

Contact leaders to confirm trip and your participation.

Sponsored by West Jersey Sierra Club.

More Information

George & Leona F | 609-259-3734 | Email

Find Related Info: canoeing, Kayaking, Pinelands Preservation Alliance

 

Sunday, August 9th, 2015

Medford Historical Society

 

Time & Place

1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Two of the Medford Historical Society’s properties will be open for tours on Sunday afternoons from 1-4 p.m. during July and August. Historic Kirby’s Mill at 275 Church Road, Medford, New Jersey has been completely refurbished with old mill stones turned by gears that provide power from the water wheel. The second floor is furnished with educational exhibits including a general store, printing shop and lathe. The original Kirby Bros. office has been returned to its original condition, including old ledgers and price posters.

Visit the office and education center of Dr. James Still located at 209-211 Church Road in the refurbished Bunning Farmhouse. Dr. Still (1812-1885), often referred to as the “Black Doctor of the Pines,” was a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer. His office is awaiting restoration, but the education center will be open with exhibits and books for sale.

Docents will welcome visitors to both sites and answer questions. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome. For more information visit www.medfordhistory.org or call 609-654-7767.

More Information

609-654-7767 | Web

Find Related Info: history, Medford, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Dr. James Still, Kirby's Mill

 

Friday, August 14th, 2015

Canoe/Kayak the Mullica River (Burlington County)

 

Time & Place

8:30am

event thumbnail

The aquatic flowering plants of the New Jersey Pinelands will still be in bloom.

Great News! Pinelands Preservation Alliance has launched Pinelands Adventures and rental boats are available as well as private boat shuttling. We'll use Pinelands Adventures for our trip; cost information is on their website http://www.pinelandsadventures.org.

Contact leaders to confirm the trip, meeting location and your participation.

Sponsored by West Jersey Sierra Club.

More Information

George & Leona F | 609-259-3734 | Email

Find Related Info: canoeing, Kayaking, Pinelands Preservation Alliance

 

Sunday, August 16th, 2015

Medford Historical Society

 

Time & Place

1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Two of the Medford Historical Society’s properties will be open for tours on Sunday afternoons from 1-4 p.m. during July and August. Historic Kirby’s Mill at 275 Church Road, Medford, New Jersey has been completely refurbished with old mill stones turned by gears that provide power from the water wheel. The second floor is furnished with educational exhibits including a general store, printing shop and lathe. The original Kirby Bros. office has been returned to its original condition, including old ledgers and price posters.

Visit the office and education center of Dr. James Still located at 209-211 Church Road in the refurbished Bunning Farmhouse. Dr. Still (1812-1885), often referred to as the “Black Doctor of the Pines,” was a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer. His office is awaiting restoration, but the education center will be open with exhibits and books for sale.

Docents will welcome visitors to both sites and answer questions. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome. For more information visit www.medfordhistory.org or call 609-654-7767.

More Information

609-654-7767 | Web

Find Related Info: history, Medford, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Dr. James Still, Kirby's Mill

 

Wednesday, August 19th, 2015

Canoe/Kayak the Rancocas Creek (Burlington County)

 

Time & Place

9:00am

event thumbnail

Rentals are not available.

Contact leaders for information and to confirm your participation.

Sponsored by West Jersey Sierra Club.

More Information

George & Leona F | 609-259-3734 | Email

Find Related Info: canoeing, Kayaking, Pinelands Preservation Alliance

 

Sunday, August 23rd, 2015

Medford Historical Society

 

Time & Place

1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Two of the Medford Historical Society’s properties will be open for tours on Sunday afternoons from 1-4 p.m. during July and August. Historic Kirby’s Mill at 275 Church Road, Medford, New Jersey has been completely refurbished with old mill stones turned by gears that provide power from the water wheel. The second floor is furnished with educational exhibits including a general store, printing shop and lathe. The original Kirby Bros. office has been returned to its original condition, including old ledgers and price posters.

Visit the office and education center of Dr. James Still located at 209-211 Church Road in the refurbished Bunning Farmhouse. Dr. Still (1812-1885), often referred to as the “Black Doctor of the Pines,” was a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer. His office is awaiting restoration, but the education center will be open with exhibits and books for sale.

Docents will welcome visitors to both sites and answer questions. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome. For more information visit www.medfordhistory.org or call 609-654-7767.

More Information

609-654-7767 | Web

Find Related Info: history, Medford, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Dr. James Still, Kirby's Mill

 

Thursday, August 27th, 2015

Canoe/Kayak the Great Egg Harbor River (Atlantic County)

 

Time & Place

10:00am

event thumbnail

Meet at Weymouth Forge/Furnace, Weymouth Road, Weymouth, NJ www.aclink.org/PARKS/mainpages/historic_weymouth.asp.

Rentals are available from Palace Restaurant and Outfitters 609-625-8552 or www.thepalaceoutfitters.com.

Contact leaders to confirm trip and your participation.

Sponsored by West Jersey Sierra Club.

More Information

George & Leona F | 609-259-3734 | Email

Find Related Info: canoeing, Kayaking, Pinelands Preservation Alliance

 

Friday, August 28th, 2015

The Lizzie Rose Music Room --- Damon Fowler in Concert

 

Time & Place

7:30 pm
The Lizzie Rose Music Room, 217 East Main St, Tuckerton, NJ 08087

event thumbnail

After spending much of the past year touring with the band Southern Hospitality, Damon Fowler is back with his third solo project for Blind Pig Records, Sounds of Home. Damon chose swamp blues master Tab Benoit to produce and record him at Tab’s rural Louisiana home studio, and their collaboration has resulted in Damon’s strongest effort to date. The tension between his measured, laid-back vocal delivery and the hallmark intensity of his guitar virtuosity has never been keener, and the stories told in his songwriting here – sometimes in collaboration with long-time writing partner Ed Wright and Benoit – exhibit a combination of depth, grace and humor very few of his contemporaries can match.

Tickets on sale Wednesday, July 8th: $25 Advance, $30 At Door. Box office: 609-296-4100 or 609-389-0118 or in person at Village Bicycles, Tuckerton.

More Information

609-296-4100, 609-389-0118 | Web

Find Related Info: music, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Tuckerton

 

Sunday, August 30th, 2015

The Lizzie Rose Music Room --- Nathan & The Zydeco Cha Chas

 

Time & Place

Two shows: 7:00 pm and 9:30 pm
Lizzie Rose Music Room, 217 East Main St, Tuckerton, NJ 08087

event thumbnail

Zydeco is now a familiar sound to many, heard in commercials for mainstream companies such as Burger King and Toyota, and there are pockets of devoted zydeco dancers throughout the world. Yet, after its flush of national popularity in the late 1980's, which saw soaring sales of both zydeco and Cajun CDs, zydeco has in many ways faded from popular consciousness, retreating to the South Louisiana dance halls and festival gigs that sustained it all along.

Growing up in a Creole-speaking home in St. Martinville, Nathan eagerly sought out the music of zydeco originators such as Clifton Chenier. When he was too young to actually attend a Clifton Chenier dance at a St. Martinville club, he hovered by the window-sized fan at the back of the building to hear his idol, only to have the bill of his baseball cap clipped off by the fan when he leaned too close. Later, while recovering from a serious illness, Nathan decided to dedicate himself to learning the accordion. That dedication blossomed into an illustrious career, encompassing seven albums and spanning close to two decades. The music of Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas is the expression of a remarkable South Louisiana family.

Dennis Paul Williams, Nathan's brother, brings his jazz-influenced guitar chops to the band. He's also a well known painter whose work has been shown throughout the country, and who contributed the cover and tray card paintings for their new album, Hang It High, Hang It Low. Keyboardist Nathan Williams Jr. is enrolled in the music program at the University of South Louisiana, while he leads his own band in the Lafayette area. Rubboard player Mark Williams is a cousin who has been with the band since its inception. Manager Sid El Sid O Williams, the eldest Williams brother, is an entrepreneur who has built a remarkable network of businesses in Lafayette, while honing his skills as an accordion contender himself. Rounding out the Cha Chas is the exceptional rhythm section of bassist Paul Newman and drummer Herman 'Rat' Brown, who held the drum chair with Buckwheat Zydeco for many years.

In the world of contemporary African-American music, roots styles are easily categorized as old music, good for sampling maybe, but not music that relates to the lives of mainstream American people. Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas might make us think twice about this assumption, for here is uplifting, new music that remains connected to its place in history. If you haven't heard what's happening in zydeco lately, here's your chance!

Tickets on sale now! $30 Advance, $35 At Door

More Information

in person at Village Bicycles Tuckerton | 609-296-4100 or 609-389-0118 | Web

Find Related Info: music, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Tuckerton

 

Medford Historical Society

 

Time & Place

1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Two of the Medford Historical Society’s properties will be open for tours on Sunday afternoons from 1-4 p.m. during July and August. Historic Kirby’s Mill at 275 Church Road, Medford, New Jersey has been completely refurbished with old mill stones turned by gears that provide power from the water wheel. The second floor is furnished with educational exhibits including a general store, printing shop and lathe. The original Kirby Bros. office has been returned to its original condition, including old ledgers and price posters.

Visit the office and education center of Dr. James Still located at 209-211 Church Road in the refurbished Bunning Farmhouse. Dr. Still (1812-1885), often referred to as the “Black Doctor of the Pines,” was a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer. His office is awaiting restoration, but the education center will be open with exhibits and books for sale.

Docents will welcome visitors to both sites and answer questions. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome. For more information visit www.medfordhistory.org or call 609-654-7767.

More Information

609-654-7767 | Web

Find Related Info: history, Medford, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Dr. James Still, Kirby's Mill

 

Be sure to check back frequently for updates and new events!