Bishop Farmstead Barn Renovation Project
When the Pinelands Preservation Alliance purchased the Bishop-Irick House and its 12.2 acre farmstead in 2002, the organization became the 12th owners of a 250+ year old brick house with a heritage as rich and compelling as that of the New Jersey county in which it was built.
The farmstead was placed on the State and National Historic Register of Places by its previous owners, Ronn and Ellen Shaffer in 1992 due primarily to the architecture of the farmhouse which is a remarkably intact example of a colonial brick farmhouse. If the nomination were made today it is likely that a case for the barn's significance would also be made as a well preserved example of a Louden barn.
The barn was constructed by the Robbins family in 1932. It is a Louden barn that was shipped in pieces by rail to Mount Holly, NJ from the Louden Barn Company in Iowa. In 2014 we began exploring ways to turn the barn into a gathering place for people to learn about the Pinelands through music, history, art and science. Thanks to money raised as part of the Brendan T. Bryne Fund for the Pinelands we have now completed renovations to the groundfloor of the barn.
The renovation has retained as much of the original character of this historic barn as we can while repurposing it to support our mission. The renovated barn uses a high efficiency GeoThermal/radiant heating and cooling system to minimize energy usage and an advanced septic system to minimize the impact on the environment.
Check out the this video to watch the Louden Barn renovation transformation take place.
Historian and Previous Owner, Ronn Shaffer Speaks about the Farmstead
Download the Bishop Farmstead Brochure.